If you should be worried about any observeable symptoms after using the emergency contraceptive tablet, speak to your GP or talk to a nursing assistant at a health that is sexual
You should talk to a nurse or doctor if:
- You think you may be expecting
- The next period is more than a week later
- Your duration is smaller or lighter than typical
- You’ve got any unexpected or pain that is unusual your reduced stomach (this may be a indication of a ectopic pregnancy, where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive capsule may connect to other medications. Included in these are:
- The medicine that is herbal John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medications utilized to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for example omeprazole (an antacid) to create your belly less acid
EllaOne may not be utilized as it may not be effective if you are already taking one of these medicines.
Levonelle may nevertheless be utilized, nevertheless the dosage might need to be increased – your pharmacist or doctor can advise with this.
There must be no discussion between your crisis pill & most antibiotics. Two antibiotics that are enzyme-inducingcalled rifampicin and rifabutin), utilized to deal with or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 times afterward.
Should you want to make sure that your medications are safe to simply simply take using the crisis contraceptive tablet, pose a question to your GP or a pharmacist. It’s also advisable to see the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can I have the emergency contraceptive capsule ahead of time?
Perhaps you are in a position to get the crisis contraceptive supplement prior to having sex that is unprotected:
- You will be concerned about your method that is contraceptive failing
- You will be taking place vacation
- You simply cannot get your hands on crisis contraception effortlessly
Ask your GP or nursing assistant for more info on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The intrauterine device (IUD) is a little, T-shaped contraceptive unit created from synthetic and copper. It’s inserted to the womb by an experienced wellness professional. It might avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or being fertilised.
In the event that you’ve had non-safe sex, the IUD are placed as much as five times a while later, or as much as five times following the earliest time you can have ovulated, to avoid maternity. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity compared to the crisis product, plus it will not connect to virtually any medicine.
You can even elect to have the IUD left in as an ongoing way of contraception.
Just How effective could be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are many kinds of IUD. Newer ones do have more copper and therefore are significantly more than 99% effective. Less than two ladies in 100 whom use a more recent IUD over 5 years can get expecting. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but they are nevertheless effective. The IUD works better compared to the crisis tablet at preventing maternity after unsafe sex.
Who is able to utilize the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including ladies who have not been expecting and people that are HIV good. Your GP or clinician will inquire about your history that is medical to if an IUD would work for your needs.
You must not make use of an IUD when you have:
- An untreated STI or perhaps an infection that is pelvic
- Specific abnormalities associated with the womb or cervix
- Any unexplained bleeding from your vagina – for example, between durations or after intercourse
Women that have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD really should not be placed when there is a danger which you may currently be expecting. The IUD can safely be used if you’re breastfeeding, nevertheless the danger of complications during insertion is somewhat greater.
Do you know the negative effects of this IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are uncommon, but could consist of discomfort, illness, problems for the womb or expulsion (the IUD coming from the womb). If you utilize the IUD as a continuing way of regular contraception, it might make your periods much longer, heavier or maybe more painful.
The IUD as well as other medications
The emergency IUD shall perhaps perhaps not respond with every other medicine.
Where am I able to get emergency contraception?
You may get the crisis contraceptive supplement while the IUD for clear of:
- A GP surgery that delivers contraception (some GP surgeries might not supply the IUD)
- A contraception center
- A health clinic that is sexual
- Some medicine that is genitourinaryGUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (phone our sexual helpline on 0800 22 44 88)
You may want to obtain the crisis contraceptive capsule free of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some small accidents devices
- Some Accident & crisis divisions
A doctor or nursing assistant the thing is that may ask when it comes to after information:
- When you yourself have had non-safe sex in your overall cycle that is menstrual
- The date regarding the day that is first of final duration while the usual duration of your period
- Information on any failure that is contraceptivesuch as for instance just how many pills you’ve probably missed, as soon as)
- If you have utilized any medicines which will impact your contraception
If you are aged 13 or higher, you will get contraception through the greater part of community pharmacies in Scotland, frequently totally free. If you’re perhaps not qualified to receive NHS Scotland solutions, you can purchase the crisis contraceptive tablet from many pharmacies. The price differs, however it shall be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you should be staying away from a regular approach to contraception, you may give consideration to doing this to be able to reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) provides the best security against maternity, and you also need not think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can we get it?
This will depend which type of crisis contraception you utilize. There are two main techniques:
- The crisis contraceptive product (morning after pill) – there are two main types, Levonelle or ellaOne
- The device that is intrauterineIUD, or coil)
Emergency contraception prevents pregnancy if:
- You have not utilized contraception
- Your typical way of contraception has unsuccessful
Emergency contraception shouldn’t be utilized in the place of your typical way of contraception.
The earlier you utilize crisis contraception after having non-safe sex, the greater amount of effective it really is. For lots more information, see How effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive supplement
Levonelle can be obtained cost-free without having a prescription. You will get it from many pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual. Utilize our nationwide provider Directory to locate nearest pharmacy, GP surgery or sexual wellness hospital.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available totally free. You will get them from most community pharmacies as well as from your own GP or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle may be taken within 72 hours (3 days) of experiencing non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of getting non-safe sex.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or ovulation that is delayingwhenever your ovaries release an egg).
EllaOne could be taken within 120 hours (five times) of experiencing unsafe sex, but it’s most reliable if taken as quickly as possible after having sex that is unprotected.
You take one ellaOne tablet. It prevents or delays ovulation and causes it to be more challenging for a egg that is fertilised implant into the womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) is present from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Most health that is sexual (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is put within your womb. It damages both the semen plus the egg, and stops a fertilised egg implanting in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having sex that is unprotected or, whether or not it’s feasible to calculate whenever you ovulate, as much as five times when you ovulate. The IUD is one of effective form of crisis contraception.
You are able to keep carefully the IUD in as your method that is regular of, or a medical practioner can eliminate it throughout your next duration.
Crisis contraception may not be suited to everyone else. Learn more about crisis contraception.
If you are ill
If you should be unwell (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, get hold of your GP. You may have to take another capsule.
Just just just How effective can it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you utilize and exactly how quickly you employ it.
There are two main ways of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after tablet – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity for those who haven’t utilized contraception or think your usual approach to contraception has unsuccessful.